Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mommy's little secret

When I was pregnant with my son I gained 60 pounds. That's a lot. So when an 8 lb baby came out, I kinda wondered what the heck I was going to do to drop the other 52 pounds. Because I had a c-section I was in the hospital for 4 days and by the time I finally got out of bed and got home I was amazed to see my body wasn't *that* much bigger than before I was pregnant. I wasn't exactly fitting into my jeans, but I was only a size bigger, which considering the weight gain I thought was impressive!

Just a few weeks after giving birth to my son, I looked like myself again. I wasn't the same weight, but to anyone other than myself, my husband, and my parents I looked like any normal person. When out in public, people would be shocked to hear my son was only 3 weeks old and time and time again I heard "You look amazing for just having had a baby!" So what was my secret??

The Belly Bandit. I wore the Belly Bandit for weeks after both my kids were born. It made me look better, and apparently helped with a lot of other things too, some of which I didn't even know were happening! Both of my children were breastfed and I never once had problems with my back or shoulders. I can only assume this is because of the belly bandit because my posture is far from perfect, and even less so when breastfeeding. Apparently the belly bandit also helps with water retention, which could explain why I really didn't have much bloating even after being hooked up to an IV for 4 days straight.

What was my favorite part of the Belly Bandit? With my son, I had an emergency c-section. I knew very little about what the procedure was and nothing about recovery. I was more wrapped up in paying attention to my newborn than actually paying attention to anything the nurses and doctors told me, and so when I did finally get out of bed and start walking around I had this nagging fear that my incision would open and my intestines and organs would come spilling out onto the floor. Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but my section with my son was my first surgery ever so I didn't really know anything about anything. Anyway, having the belly bandit wrapped tightly around my gut made me feel like everything was held in place. It gave me the peace of mind that if my incision opened (which it didn't) I'd have enough time to lay down on my back and keep my organs inside my body rather than have them come spilling out. Thankfully I never had to test that theory (I'm not even sure it's possible) but the point is I had the peace of mind and it was one less thing to worry about when all I wanted to focus on was my son :)

2 comments:

elroberds said...

I also used the belly bandit after my son was born (I also gained 60 lbs!). It was a lifesaver! I found wearing loose v-neck t-shirts over the bandit helped create an overall slim appearance, which made me feel much better! I didn't get mine until a few weeks postpartum, and would definitely recommend getting one to use right after birth (or whenever your doctor says it is okay).

hodappn said...

I've wanted to try one of these. Maybe for after this pregnancy.

Post a Comment