Monday, October 25, 2010

Handling Challenging Situations with Our Children

I am in the midst of reading the book Insightful Parenting by Steve Kahn. In fact, I am offering a Parent Book Study on this book starting in November.

Please go to www.parentteachersupportservices.com/books.htm for more information
.

I wanted to share two key aspects that Dr. Kahn talks about in the book.

1) In moments where we may feel judged by our children's behaviors, choose to be a role model to the other parents and let them judge you on how you react to your child's behaviors rather than judging your child's behaviors.

2) Regardless of how badly our children may treat us at certain times, we need to treat them better. They will act their age at times (Dr. Kahn refers to this as "age-appropriate inappropriate" behavior), but we are not allowed to act their age.

I can't wait to spend time discussing these key aspects and many others in the Book Study coming up. I know this book is already altering my parenting in positive ways!

Guest Blogger: Jenny Hanlon, M.Ed., Founder & Teacher of Parent & Teacher Support Services

1 comment:

♥Mama of the Littles♥ said...

There is a very fine line when it comes to dealing with challenging behavior. With two boys I know quite well just how challenging they can be :)
I believe behaviour is learned. Kids model what they see. We (as parents) need to make sure we are modeling the behaviour we want to see! We need to reward them for good behaviour and not let bad behaviour go unnoticed!

Post a Comment